Visit Bob and Coleen's Workers On Wheels Website for Working RVers

CO Detector

(Carbon Monoxide Detector's Going Off)

My CO detector is going off. I have a bad smell in my R.V., like cat urine or BO. Can it be a gas leak or my batteries draining? Please help. I don't want to go back in there. Any info would be great.

Coleen, the RVing editor comments:

You are right that you should not go back into your RV. Call someone who can do some testing and find out what is happening. In some parts of the country, people call emergency services or 911 for this sort of thing. However, my suggestion would be to call the non-emergency number for your fire department or an RV technician. Though, who you call would depend on what time of the day, the weather conditions, and if you had another place to stay for a while.

Are you sure it is your carbon monoxide (CO) detector that is going off and not your propane detector? Not all propane smells the same, but it all smells bad.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas.

I've been told that bad batteries smell terrible. You mention your batteries draining. I wonder if the water has evaporated from your batteries and they are cooked with dry cells. Have you checked them lately to see that they have enough water in them?

I realize you needed an immediate answer and I was not able to give you that. However, I'm posting and replying to your letter in hopes that it will help other RVers who may find themselves in the same situation.

Since it is now after the fact, what was the problem? It can be scary when a CO detector goes off. Please let us know what was found.

Go to the RV Life and Travel blog.

Click here to post comments

Click here to return to Questions and Answers.

Go to the RV Life and Travel home page to find more articles about RVs, RV camping, and full-time RVing.

Disclosure: We receive compensation from advertisers, affiliate relationships, and site sponsors

Passport America
WOW! Save Today