Free! RVers love free things to do. Concordia, Kansas, tops
the list with a free campground. Then, you can get outside and be active. Play
tourist. Do some shopping. Learn the history of the area.
1. Airport Park Campground -- Free RV and tent camping. Sites have water and electricity. There's a dump station. Location is US Hwy 81, on the south edge of Concordia. It's called "Airport Park," because, yes, it is at the airport. Few planes use the airport. We've stayed at the campground several times, and it is quiet. (Update: On the City of Concordia’s website, they now describe the park as "fee-by-donation." The site also indicates they have a courtesy car available.)
2. The Whole Wall Mural -- It's the longest sculptured brick mural in the United States. The mural is a brick carving. It is 140 feet long, covering the exterior, west wall of the Cloud County Museum Annex. It depicts the history of Cloud County and is a project of the Cloud County Historical Society. You'll find it at Hwy. 81 and 6th Street.
3. Antique Shops -- Take a step back in history browsing the antique shops and trading post. Our favorite is Dan's Antiques. It is in a grand old bank building. Dan's is a small shop, packed with neatly arranged treasures: tools, glassware and kitchen items, paper goods, jewelry, and assorted rustic collectibles. You'll find Dan's at 101 E 6th St. When you finish at Dan's, stop by some of the other antique stores in town.
4. Floating Rock -- An 1800-pound granite ball appears to float in mid air. It's the result of some German engineering. But, as for how it is done, I won't spoil the surprise. See it for yourself at 8th and Washington.
5. Disc Golf -- Play disc golf. The course is at Airport Park. It is an 18-hole basket, intermediate level course. The terrain is moderately hilly and wooded. On US 81, the south edge of town, you can see the baskets from the road. Bob walked the course, and says it is a workout.
This is a start. There are enough free things to do in Concordia, Kansas, to keep an RVer content for days.