Visit Bob and Coleen's Workers On Wheels Website for Working RVers
RVing Terms, Abbreviations, and Acronyms - Here to Help You
Understand RV Lingo
RVing terms, abbreviations, and acronyms, so you know the RV
lingo when RVers throw "boondocking" or "FHU" into the
conversation, and when you see RVing slang such as "5er" or
"toad." Don't be left out of
the campfire conversations because you don't understand what they're talking
- Back In (Back In Site) - An RV site in a campground with a
combined (single) entrance and exit. RVs are typically backed into the site and
driven forward to exit.
- Black Tank (Black Water Tank, Black Water Holding Tank) - The
holding tank into which the RV toilet empties when it is flushed.
- Black Water - Sewage waste from an RV toilet. It accumulates
in the black water tank.
- Blueboy (Blue-boy) - A small, blue colored plastic tank,
often on wheels, used for portable sewage disposal.
- Boondocking (Boon Docking) - RVing using the RV's
self-containment systems. RVing without being hooked up to external electrical
connection (shore-power), fresh water connection, or sewer system.
- Fresh Water - Potable water. Water suitable for human
- Fresh Water Tank - The RV tank that holds potable water.
- Full Hookup (FHU, Full Hookup Site) - An RV site with water,
electric, and sewer connections.
- Full-timer (Fulltimer, Full-time RVer) - Someone whose only
home is his RV.
- Gray Water - Waste water from sinks, showers, and washing
- Gray Water Tank (Gray Water Holding Tank) - The holding tank
on an RV into which sinks, showers, and the washing machine drain.
Go to the Getting Started section.
to the RV Life and Travel home page to find more articles about RVs, RV camping, and full-time RVing.
Disclosure: We receive compensation from advertisers, affiliate
relationships, and site sponsors